- Training design, delivery, assessment and accreditation
- Work Health & Safety compliance
- Dealing professionally with aggressive behaviour
- Violence prevention and resolving predatory behaviour
- Management at state and national levels
- Public speaking
- Media and marketing
- Writing books and producing films
Following an exceptional career in the martial arts industry, Karen Armstrong established Safety Strategies in 1994 as a specialist training service. She has taught personal protection skills to over 30,000 people, earning an international reputation as an expert in violence prevention.
Her Safety Strategies training programs have achieved outstanding results in many industries, and are recognised as the benchmark of quality and effectiveness in this vital training niche.
Karen provides presentations and workshops in government, business and community contexts, with solutions for all forms of threatening and aggressive behaviour. This is vital knowledge for all levels of management, HR, WHS, learning and development, and frontline staff.
Prior to establishing Safety Strategies, Karen was National Manager of one of Australia’s largest martial arts schools. Under her ten year management plan, the International Wing Chun Academy expanded from one centre to three State centres and over 40 branches, and its enrolled membership rose from 100 to 1000.
But there is one woman who I believe stands head and shoulders above most not just women, but men as well. Karen Armstrong, who at one time managed one of the largest martial art organisations in Australasia. Not only managed it but helped build it. You can read more about Karen at http://www.earleswingchun.com/women-in-wing-chun
(The above quote is from one of the industry’s statesmen, Kevin Earle)
I’m happy to report I’ve finally seen video of a woman practitioner who embodies the Wing Chun principles. Her name is Karen Armstrong and she was one of Sifu Jim Fung’s students (he studied with Ip Man student Tsui Seung Tin).
Steven Moody, Professional Researcher and Wing Chun Expert
- Certificate IV in Training and Assessment TAE40110
- Certificate in Business Management, Australian Institute of Management, Sydney, NSW
- First Class Honours Degree – Arts, Majoring in Philosophy, Flinders University, SA
- Bachelor of Arts Degree, Melbourne University, VIC
- Certificate IV – Transport & Distribution (Road Transport)
- Units in Graduate Diploma in Group Work and Counselling, University of Technology, SA
- Senior First Aid Certificate
- Certificate – Community Fitness Instruction, TAFE, Adelaide, SA
- Certificate in Yoga Teaching
Author of three acclaimed books
- Freedom from Fear – The Complete Guide to Personal Safety for Women
- Wing Chun Kung Fu – An Effective and Logical Approach to Self Defence
- The Authentic Wing Chun Weapons – Butterfly Knives and Long Pole
Writer, producer, director of award-winning instructional DVD
Writer, Producer, Director of award-winning instructional DVD Wing Chun Kung Fu (60 minutes): Distributed in Australia and New Zealand by Polygram Video, critically acclaimed and distributed in USA and Europe.
This instructional DVD was awarded a 5-star rating by a leading international journal, and described as a ‘must see’.